Sunday, January 13, 2013

Time keeps on slipping ....

It's winter again.  The temp dropped 35 degrees in 24 hours here in the flatlands.  Our coat closet has gotten lots of use as we constantly go to it to grab a thick coat and button/zip it up... or hang it back up for days at a time.  Strange, this weather is.  As a result, we've been busier than normal for Dec/Jan here, and I typically get a little breather about this time as the husband works a lighter 40 hours a week vs a blue million.  Let's just say, at a time when farming typically slows to a near halt, the temps have been high enough to keep the agribusiness industry moving right along.  Thankfully, my mom was here for 12 days through part of this unseasonally busy time.  I realize work is necessary, and I am so thankful for an earnest man.  However, as his long work days continue day after day, year after year, our babies are growing, growing, and I want to hold on to everything just a little longer.  As if slowing my husband's work will slow down time....  It won't.  No matter.  It keeps slipping by.  Right through my fingers.  My little one let me hold him tonight for about 15 minutes and I rubbed his warm back.  He still has that soft baby-skin and baby fat.  He kissed my forehead, neck, arm.  He is so affectionate and kind, yet the glint in his eyes reminds me that he is full of mischief.  Big sis read a "Hello Kitty" book in the floor while I snuggled with him.  It was very sweet, and I am always thankful for such moments and regret the ones I miss because of my own silly distractions (How many times have I said, "I want to play but I can't because I have to fold laundry"?).  Recently, I've been missing my days of being home full-time.  Yet, for now, I still believe I am where I am supposed to be (working pt).  Being in the will of God is wonderful, and our home is more peaceful than my full-time-mom days, strangely enough, as we plug along at pt work/ the kiddos in school / a busy diversified ag operation. 

This peace includes school as the kids are rocking at it!  I am fighting the urge to brag.  Our oldest is,  "a model student", "very bright"," kind", and a "joy"...and our youngest is a natural teacher's pet and as outgoing as me.  Yeah, I'm proud of that.  They tell me, "We miss him when he's not here.  He is so happy, bounces up and down the halls with a smile on his face.  He's always smiling!  He does everything we ask without complaint."  The director said she wished she could video him for me (she's told me twice) but when she tries, he stops.  Sorry for the stereotype here but...he's all boy.  Get the iPhone out and he goes the opposite direction.  My brother - to this day - does that!  Anyway, I knew my little was going to be just fine in school this year when he was the line leader on the first day.  I'm really thankful for the two great schools our kids attend.  I do notice (and I'm awful about this as a teacher and teacher-mom myself!) that teachers definitely teach more to girls (because most teachers ARE girls!)  so since I know that, I'm going to try to counterbalance it some.  Too bad my boy can't learn by playing all the time because he is a hands-on learner.  My daughter is an auditory learner (LUCKY for her because in life, she'll get many lectures from teachers, no matter how much the system tries!)  In some ways, he is at a place just right for him, bc the school employs Montessori methods (although it isn't a formal Montessori school, no matter how much I've begged them to take the plunge!)  OOPS!  I said I was fighting the urge to brag; I didn't succeed!  Ha!

Speaking of the educational system, I have been very impressed with the outreach going on in our local school system, from a program that sends eligible kids home with groceries for the weekend to providing backpacks for kids, to providing shoes for kids (I helped fit a few kids for cool, very nice new tennies), to free breakfast and lunches for everyone, to taking up money and toys for a family in dire need just this week.  There are still caring people in the world, and I've been moved to see so many people reach out, love on, and give to others lately.  God is always working!  Through hands and feet and $ from people just like you and me...things are happening for the good.  We just have to be able to help in some small way. 

This morning, our associate pastor said something about finding where God is working, then praying about how to help.  God works in our church in one major way each December, and this year, I had two visions for it:  1)  to offer a translator for the migrant workers who come to the ministry.  It came to me when my husband and I were taking the men who work for us (who are fluent in Spanish) to the ministry.  I was struggling through talking and explaining the ministry to them...my spanglish was mostly embarrassing but at least I tried!  Then, when we were getting ready to leave, we sat down to eat cookies, sweet bread, and drink some kool-aid (Timeout:  I didn't sit down and do any such thing. I was too busy loving on, getting blessed by, and, ahem, talking, to other people in the room...fellowship gives me GREAT inner joy!)  Anyway, one of the migrant workers with us is diabetic and asked if there were any sugar free options.  I had already dropped the ball and not helped him get free glasses (his eyes are in bad shape) so this made me feel about  this .  big!  He couldn't have anything but water!  Then my second vision came:  2) offer sugar free items next year.  Then the nudge:  COOK and deliver sugar free items to the church next year.  I have not presented this to the powers that be, except to The Power that IS, but I'm so excited.  There is a need:  fill it!  What is the need where you are?  Is it in your home?  Your work?  Your community?  Your child's school?  Your church?  Your friend circle?  Your extended family?  And by all means, if you have a need, if someone offers to help, accept!  I've been reluctant (pride?) too, but have learned lots since having my 2nd baby...help offered is often help SENT. 

As time slips by
Don't forget
The things that matter most
Are not the things you tend to
But what's always on your heart
So take time to make time
Because...
As you spend your days, so goes your life

Love and hugs from here to there.  I really would.  I would hug you if I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment