Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pre


Grace started "pre" (preschool) yesterday.  (Classes don't technically start til Tues, 9/7)...but she started yesterday in childcare.  I attended a preschool meeting a couple evenings beforehand.  It was a nice, little informational meeting where the director ("Candy"...love it) went over the basics, told us what the children would be learning, that they would be in good hands etc.  Before the meeting, we walked in and a really nice teacher, about my age, met us.  She asked Grace her name and (even though we had practiced for this) Grace froze and looked at me.  I knelt down beside her and prompted her.  Still she just locked eyes w/ mine and froze!  Finally I told the teacher her name. She responded what a beautiful name "Grace" is..and we walked a few feet to a hallway where another teacher whisked Grace down a hall so "mommy can go to a meeting and you can meet your teachers and play."  It was the very first time I watched her walk away from me into a classroom...a world just for her.  I almost cried.  The nice teacher (Julie maybe?) kept talking to me and smiling.  I apologized and told her I was normally very talkative...that I knew I wasn't responding (I don't really know what she even said to be honest).  I explained to her that I had never dropped Grace off before like this (I had at MDO about 5 times but that was different...pre is a rite of passage into kidhood/school days!).  The nice teacher immediately told me how she completely understood...that her child attends pre there as well...I think she mentioned she was a s-a-h mom until this year...again, not sure.  She really was SO sweet.  I have to find her the next time I'm there and thank her.  She was so genuine.  I went on to the meeting...it's a wonder I made it down the hall.  :)  After an hour, the meeting was over.  I was feeling much better, because no one had to come get me for Grace.  I signed up to bring food to the Easter party (Thanksgiving and Christmas were already full)...I signed up to go to the play with Grace's class.  At last, I went back to get her and the nice teacher met me and told me she did wonderful and made her a "chocolate chip cookie with ketchup on it."  I am so proud of Grace for easing into this easier than me!  Ha!  Two days later, I got up a bit early to get myself ready.  I slipped into her room and she stirred.  I told her it was the big day...the day she got to attend First Christian for the very first time!  She was up and at 'em as soon as I told her.  Grace requested eggs for breakfast.  We all four sat down.  It was a nice, albeit brief breakfast.  I think we'll try to eat breakfast together at least once a week.  It just starts the day off on a good note.  At least it did that day.  ;0  We arrived at pre and before we could unbuckle her, Grace said, "I can't WAIT!!!!!"  She truly was so excited.  I knew in my heart it was finally time...her reaction proved it.  We snapped some precious pictures of her with her sweet little Dora backpack. 

I brushed her hair in the parking lot and clipped a cute barette in (she refused while we were still at home...she insisted she would fix her own hair...which she did with a barette at the base of her scalp).  I had actually decided if she put up a fight at pre I would just let it be and let her go with fuzzy hair and a barette at the nape of her neck...because she IS independent.  It is what it is.  I can embrace it or not...either way she IS independent!  Like it or leave it.  I've decided to like it.  It will save me a headache as she grows, I know.  Inside the building, we took a couple more pictures and wished her well.  We were in and out quickly.  Of course, Noah John was oblivious.   LOL.  He just wanted down to play in her classroom.  He was happy to ride with his daddy back to "mamaw's" while I drove to Central to teach.  Tomorrow she goes back for day 2.  I will be praying day 2 is great also!  To God be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment