Thursday, June 24, 2010

Amazing things happen when you eat Trix cereal....

My darling Noah John stopped nursing and is a full-fledged whole-milk lover.  Bring on the red tops and the baby is happy.  Show him blue ... and well ... pun fully intended ... he is BLUE and repeatedly throws his sippy overboard (newsflash:  those cups are not spillproof if they are tossed overboard).  Anyway, I don't think we'll see any of the water-milk (fat free) for at least 6 more months (not complaining).  His big sister, however, is a bird of a different feather.  Much to her daddy's chagrin, I see soy milk in her future unless we can convince her to drink cow's milk again.  This actually started about a year ago.  Initially, I didn't worry over it for two reasons 1) I had a newborn and was preoccupied and 2) she ate cheese 24/7...  (ate: past tense).  I realized recently that uh-oh!  Grace isn't into cheese anymore and yogurt has never been a daily food for her either.  She eats it but not 24/7.  So, the last several days have been spent doing what I will call "OPERATION CALCIUM."  This has included...chasing down strawberry syrup with a Kroger employee, replenishing our chocolate syrup, buying two types of string cheese, lots of yogurt, trying new, sugar-loaded cereal, hand-feeding both food and drink, pleading, bribing, and who knows what I've blocked out.  Operation Calcium is intense, see.  Shawn says, in general, I need to ease off.  But!  Her bones!  They'll break...immediately!  I just know it.  And her teeth...oh the teeth.  I hadn't even thought of those.  Yes, I must push forward.  So far, strawberry milk has been the drink of choice (but even then, it's slow-going).  At present, she is working on the same sippy full of it for going on 3 days (ew, maybe she needs a fresh drink...maybe it's soured!)

To make a point to Grace one day, I told her when Nonna was little, they didn't have milk unless they milked a cow...I told her Nonna's bones got weak and she had to start taking medicine to make them stronger.  I went on to say that when Nonna married Poppa, he bought her all the milk she wanted anytime she wanted...and that now her bones are stronger.  Grace's reply, "I'm glad Nonna's bones don't have holes in them anymore...and I'm glad Poppa buys her milk...he even buys her chocolate anytime she wants it too."   I have pondered this for a few days.  I think she is trying to get me to buy her chocolate.  Lose the battle, win the war...  hershey syrup 'in' the milk and we both win....

Finally, to the point of the post, apparently Trix cereal has a commercial in which someone says, "Amazing things happen when you eat Trix cereal."  One night, while trying to get Grace's milk quoto in, we let her eat Trix cereal for supper.  While taking the last bite or two, she said what she heard (and believed) on the commercial, "Amazing things happen when you eat Trix cereal."  She went on to say she wondered what would happen and that she just couldn't wait for whatever it was.  I asked her what she thought might happen and she answered, "I don't know, maybe a pony or a horse...'cuz I really want a pony!"  I got up from feeding the baby and told Shawn that Grace thought something amazing was about to happen, all because of a commercial claiming if she ate Trix, then it would be so.  I said, "I feel sorry for her.  What do we do?"  We came back into the kitchen and after about 5 minutes, the door bell rang.  Shawn and Grace went to answer it and guess what!  Something amazing was there!  Not a pony.  Not a horse.  But something, or should I say, someone, amazing was there:  NONNA was surprising us with a visit!  Grace literally shrieked; I wish I had it on video.  She said Nonna was better than a pony or a horse.  (That should make mom feel good.)  The moral of this story is:  God is in the small stuff.  While something amazing may not happen each time one eats Trix, the main thing is it happened once, and for this little girl, it made her week!!!  Faith like a child.....  Shawn and I both grinned out of shock and were happy for our little girl...and glad her innocence is so apparent and so precious.  Noah John just laughed and laughed!  It was so cute!  He was so happy as well.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment