Monday, February 18, 2013

AgBc's if I may

Preparing to speak to 3 Ag classes and I am having speaker's block!  I think I may have the students do this fun and simple activity. So...if I may...I am going to plunk down some quick ideas to *hopefully* make speaker's block go AWAY!  I can normally talk to a wall yet right now, I'm STUCK!

Question: "What do you instantly think of when you hear the word FARMER?" 

ABC's of Agriculture

A-air...farms (hog specifically) may not always smell good but I like country air better than smoky/smoggy air!
B-breakfast...think country eggs, sausage from a nearby farm, bacon from a nearby farm, biscuits (hubby likes canned best), real butter (from Kroger ha)
C-country music...all things sung about farming and farm life make it sound gritty yet desirable at once (which makes me lol)
D-dogs...the hunting ones, the working ones, and my crazy chessie/wire hair Hallie dog!


 
E-eggs...from my backyard
F-farms...all across the nation...2% of the population farms and I'm PROUD to be a farm fam for this reason
G-grass...yep green grass...we grow it and sell it on this diversified ag op!


H-hens...don't want a rooster, thank you!  We have 7 of these babies right now.


I-inchworms...they aerate the soil, folks, and help our farms a lot more than they get credit for! 
J-juice...bc somewhere down the line fruit was picked from a farmer's field!  Even those big farms have a face!  I just met a guy face to face whose family farms 10,000 acres out west!  Awesome guy!  I'll never serve the kiddos another carrot w/o wondering if it came from that guy's land and hand!
K-kids..farms and kids go together, and I'm SO glad to raise mine on a farm, though I had to grow to love it and appreciate it!
L-land...whew, land is $PRICY$ here and I'm glad for the land we farm and the little bit we live on!
M-moo cows...went to a dairy recently and watched those mommas get milked, then their milk was dumped into a drain because they had been on antibx and it must test out of the milk before it gets pasteurized. 
N-North Dakota...the farmers in ND have it different than we do here - their land is owned by the gov't and they lease it from them.  Glad for all kinds of people who do their best with the land today (and shame on those who don't!) for food tomorrow!
O-operations...farm ops to be specific...all kinds too...traditional, organic, big, little.
P-pesticides. I know, I know.  Trust me, I know!
Q-quaker oats...on those mornings I indulgeforce them down my throat, I think of a farmer and a farm field somewhere that grew those babies.


R-rain...oh yes, rain, and the good Lord who gives it.
S-sunshine...same as above!
T-trucks...I am kind of in love with my husband's hot truck.  It's built Ford Tough.  It literally gives me flutters something crayyy.
U-USDA for regulations...even though at times they bite farmers and I may take flack for saying it!  They are there for good reason.
V-variety ... I'll take peaches and cream sweet corn variety please!



W-water...see letter R. 
X-meXico...our best workers come from there!
Y-youth...who are the up and coming farmers...let's teach them well!
Z-zones...so I know which flowers and bushes I can plant and when :)

No comments:

Post a Comment