Saturday, March 26, 2011

Question

I am thinking about (and praying about) making my blog public. It's probably going to come as a shock, but I am actually a very private person. I am a people person and outgoing and all, but I don't share many details (I'm even funny about posting the kids full names etc) on FaceBook, here, and so on (for multiple reasons). When I started the blog for my mom to keep up w' the kids n see weekly pics (I've fallen short there!) it said that it was public. (?) So that confuses me too. Can other people read this already and me not know? How secure is this? I'm slightly weired out. I have a friend who switched (I THINK?) to some very secure blog site. I know, I need to contact her and ask. Have you (Amy, Lee, Brandi) ever had issues w' privacy (I don't really want random people reading what I write)? IF people can already read everything I blog about, then opening it up (via FB) is not going to change things much (or is it?).

3 comments:

  1. Shan,
    I'm pretty sure your blog isn't private. I think on private blogs you have to have a password to read, and I don't do this when I come to your blog. I could be wrong 'cuz I'm not up on a lot of technology stuff......
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog has been public since 2006 and I have never had an issue. Your blog has been public since you started... BUT someone would have had to search for it to find it. For example, if you google "Shannon Brumfield Blog" then it would come up as a result link.
    Again, for five years I have never had an issue with my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're right. Your blog is already public. But it is unlikely it would come up in a search engine accidentally (like if someone typed "Disney") unless it started getting a lot more hits. Mine used to not show up because there used a be a blogger setting where you could block search engines from finding you, but recently I checked my settings and that option was gone. Mine does show up in search engines now if you put in my blog name.

    You can make it private, and people would need a password.

    My blog is available through fb if we are friends, but I am not sure if people who are not friends can see it or not. Anybody wanna check and see if you can see my blog address:)

    ReplyDelete