Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving #1

The kids & I headed home last Wednesday (18th).  I am so happy that a section of the road has been widened to a 4-lane and re-paved.  Traffic was very light too. We sailed on 'home' in less than 3 hrs, 15 minutes, including one bathroom stop, which is 15 mins shorter than usual!  Every minute counts when traveling w/ 2 little ones.  :)  The kids traveled well for the most part, despite an argumentative Grace (needed a nap!).  I caught up w/ a college friend for a large portion of the drive, which wasn't the wisest thing to do for several reasons, one being it kept one or both kids awake.  It was good to catch up w' her though! 

We had a great visit and were able to partake in a lot of outdoor activities b'c of the very warm weather.  Dad bought a mare for mom a few months back & has been breaking her.  She is super sweet, unlike the Tennessee Walkers who are high-spirited, not to mention SO VERY TALL that I can't hold the kids while they are on their backs.  Anyway, it's good to have a gentle horse around now.  She would be a good trail-rider.  I got on her for awhile and let dad lead me around and I walked her just a very short distance.  I love horses but haven't ridden much since college (and then it was arena-riding).  Riding her made me want to ride regularly...love horses love horses love horses.  I put Noah John on her a couple times which was fun, because he is used to watching dad ride and not being able to 'giddyup' himself.  He carried around a little plastic horse everyday and said 'horse' repeatedly.  Grace wouldn't get on the first day and I didn't push her, but the next day, I looked out the window to see her up on Midge being led around.  I walked outside and she said she didn't like it...I told her to get comfortable with the horse by petting her etc.  She leaned down and stroked Midge's mane and soon was comfortable enough to be led all the way around the front yard and side yard a couple times (which is huge- 3/4 of an acre?)  Unfortunately, Shawn didn't have the same experience!  Right after getting up on the horse, dad gave him the reigns.  I tried to say no, b'c he hasn't had much experience w' horses but it was too late.  Midge took off at a slow trot and ran out the gate (which is normally closed) and toward the highway.  Luckily, Shawn pulled her to the right to avoid the road and they looped around and came back up the lane.  After getting off, Shawn said to several of us, "Do you know how often I've had a 4-wheeler take off with me and not be able to stop it?"  In other words, he thinks horses are more dangerous than 4-wheelers and tractors.  It's a discussion we have at times.  I know both can be dangerous but I would rather the kids horseback ride than the other... in an arena with riding helmets.  (Truthfully I would keep them in bubbles if I could, but in reality, not gonna happen).

Thanksgiving #1 consisted of my parents, Shawn, the kids, and me, my brother, his wife, 3 kids, Uncle Henry, Aunt Jackie, Uncle Ben, Aunt Gay Lee, Cousin TaSheena and her cute 2 year old Annsley, Cousin Joe Kyle (wife had to work), Cousin Will and his wife Miranda.  Other regulars who were unable to attend this year were Jack and Pam & Chelsea and Dan.  We also missed Uncle Johnny, Aunt Olivia, Aunt Becky, & Tim but they haven't made if the last few years, but at least we spoke w/ most of them on the phone.  Will fried a 22 lb turkey and it was a huge success.  It was the best turkey I have ever eaten.  Grace said the same and even Callie, who doesn't normally eat turkey, ate quite a bit of it this year.  We started frying at noon and the last of the family members left around 6:30 pm, not counting my brother and his family, b'c I don't remember when they left...they were there til late-thirty :).  Someone came out and took some pictures of my parents and my brother and his family and me and mine.  I can't wait to get those images on cd.  Unfortunately, my brother got a page to go to work as soon as we sat down to eat, but at least he was back in 2 hours and was present for the pictures and before all the food was gone.  We ate almost the entire turkey!!! 

The visit ended with Grace and I singing at church but we added my oldest niece in the mix and I'm so glad we did.  I was able to have lunch at F&H drug store w/ my cousin Stephanie as well as relax in the hot tub w/ my good friend Sarah.  I had to pull myself away but once we made it back (with promises to Grace of Chic-Fil-A lunch on way home in BG from my dad), we unpacked, did laundry, cooked dinner, had a ballet class, etc.  In other words, we are back to our WKY normal lol...which is me and the kids and naps etc...God is good.  Isn't that why the pilgrims came here and why we celebrate T'giving?  It is, it is, it is, and we shouldn't forget it.  Charlie Brown reminded me of that just last night ;)  lol.  When we settled down last night after dinner, we watched Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving.  Grace fell asleep in the floor with her blankies.  It is bittersweet to be back for all of us!  I think Shawn particularly is glad we are home, since he only came for a couple nights.  One more thing, I have had trouble w/ the pics so sorry, they are mostly here at the end.



                    finally...the perfect way to wind-down in the evenings....for kids and adults alike....




No comments:

Post a Comment