Friday, August 12, 2011

Labor of Love

Shawn's birthday was this week, so the kids and I made a red velvet cake to celebrate. (The recipe was from Bakerella's Blog and I have to say...the best cake I have ever made. I will be going back to her blog).


Looks like paint! TWO bottles of red food coloring...thankful none of us have red dye allergies!





No, you can't cut into the screen (I'm a wee bit proud of it hmm?)


A way to my man's heart is definitely without a single doubt...through his stomach. Slice number one was served to him and you would have thought he was king. (I can't over-estimate the way his heart and stomach are connected).

I can say with all honesty that Grace did a whole lot of the work on this cake, even the blending. I measured; she poured. She mixed, stirred, blended to her little heart's content. She has culinary genes :) (Shawn's grandpa was a chef on General MacArthur's Navy ship and Shawn's mom is an excellent cook who passes up Paula Deen by a small margin). I mixed the icing because at that point, said sous-chef was napping. Noah John helped dump a bottle of food color in ("WOOK at that!")

He also asserted himself enough to get an occasional stir in...BUUUUT mostly Grace had it all under control.


In case you're wondering, we only bake in swimsuits and rubber-boots in the summer. The cleanup after is a dip in the kiddy pool ;) lol.

Happy end-of-summer ya'll. Praying for a mild fall. Join us.







No comments:

Post a Comment